Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Safe baby food

At first, it really wasn't too difficult to accommodate Dal's food allergies. He was a baby and had a rather under-developed sense of taste, so I gave him milk (soy or breast) and vegetables, fruits, and iron fortified rice cereal. Of course, I also had to avoid his allergenic foods myself.
Then I discovered that Gerber baby food had more dairy-free options than Hunt's baby food the hard way. I bought a jar of a vegetable that I usually bought in the Gerber brand in Hunt's brand and fed it to baby Dal, only to discover, after he got sick, that it had dairy in the ingredients. But I quickly learned to read labels, as did my baby boy. At sixteen months, he would refuse to eat any baby food until he saw the jar and determined that it had the Gerber baby on it. Somehow he made the connection and decided that the baby on the jar meant it was safe for him. Like a wine steward, I would present the jar to the Little Sir while he sat enthroned in his high chair. He would look seriously at the label and nod his approval. If I tried to present something other than Gerber he would turn his head away and make a small sound of disapproval.
Eventually, I resorted to carefully removing the Gerber labels, washing the jars, refilling them with homemade food, and re-taping the labels on. He may have known his labels, but he wasn't such a connoisseur that he could tell the real Gerber from Mom's.
But the allergy moral here is: learn to read labels and always read them.

(disclaimer: I have no idea at present which baby food brand has the most foods with dairy in them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment